1.31.2012

Gem of the day

Yale Economist William Nordhaus responds to a Wall Street Journal op-ed last week, which cited his work to claim that "nearly the highest benefit-to-cost ratio is achieved for a policy that allows 50 more years of economic growth unimpeded by greenhouse gas controls." [lovely idea]

In his view (via NY Times Dot Earth):

"The piece completely misrepresented my work. My work has long taken the view that policies to slow global warming would have net economic benefits, in the trillion of dollars of present value. This is true going back to work in the early 1990s (MIT Press, Yale Press, Science, PNAS, among others). I have advocated a carbon tax for many years as the best way to attack the issue. I can only assume they either completely ignorant of the economics on the issue or are willfully misstating my findings."

Right.

No comments:

Post a Comment