10.28.2010

Another non-environmental wonder

Highlights from one of those magical New York Times lovefests-masquerading-as-debates between op-ed columnists David Brookes (fake conservative and resident troublemaker) and Gail Collins (semi-humorous, relentlessly progressive, sometime feminist):


David Brooks: Gail, are you coming down to Washington for the Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert Rally to Restore Sanity? I’m pretty sure I’ll go out of curiosity and because I’ve never seen 100,000 Priuses in one place.
Gail Collins: One thing I love about you is that if there’s a rally in Washington, you’re there. Democrats, Tea Party, Comedy Central. If the libertarian cat lovers march on Washington, I count on hearing your personal report.
David Brooks: The problem was I couldn’t be as consistently witty as you and Maureen Dowd and also I could never figure out how to blend the humor with the substantive points. I found that to do humor I had to exaggerate so much it undermined the argument. You manage to write a column that combines wit with point of view. I wonder if you’ve wrestled with this tension that defeated me.
Gail Collins: Well, that would be my life’s work. While yours would be saving democracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment